“Regardless of size or appearance, you are
beautiful.” These words have resonated
with me ever since I heard about Vivien Geeyang Kim (김지양, the first Korean plus-sized model to debut in the United States) back when I
was living in Canada. She has made waves and gone viral around the world as the model "too fat for Korea". For this Throwback Thursday, I'd like to tell you a little bit about my former career as a n00bie professional model. As a Canadian
model working primarily in Vancouver, my self-worth came from the
photographers, agencies, and casting agents that wanted to work with me, and
the types of work for which I was submitted.
My least confident shoots were for photography conventions where
“professional” photographers would hire me to teach portrait posing and
directions to “point and shooters”(ahem... “Guys with Cameras”) in an effort to sell
e-books, photography classes, and camera gear.
Usually
I’d work in commercial photography (where you’re always told you’re
beautiful), or promotional modeling (where you have to approach and talk to
total strangers about products on which you’ve just been educated [and
are shot down 90% of the time!]).
My
most confident times were when I was working with amateur photographers. I’d usually be placed in editorial situations
on site where I’d be romping around with a series of advanced photography
students (typically those upgrading their skills) in tow and would be paired up
with a teeny, tiny, tall, exotic model.
I was always left wondering if I was there as the “plus size
model”…then, I’d see the proofs. I knew
exactly why I was there, and damn…did I ever feel fantastic.
Every
so often I’d get a series of shoots that would work out as “sexy” Maxim-style
photography keeping me in the game for yet another modeling niche. My weight (and body-temperature – those ocean
pictures were taken in Canada in November!) is different in every single one of
the above shots. Sometimes I was dieting
like crazy in an effort to add something to my portfolio that would entice an
executive agent. Other times I was happy
to be a University student paying my rent off making funny faces. Regardless, I am beautiful, and on those
shoots my size or ethnicity did not make a difference. The fact is that I made the best shots some
of those photographers had had in years.
8 years later I still find myself in portfolios all over the web.





No comments:
Post a Comment